Seasoned personal injury legal team committed to lightening your burdens
The attorneys at The McGarity Group, LLC understand that a serious burn injury is traumatic, painful and costly. Burn injury victims and their families often face a long, difficult path to recovery. We are with you each step of the way, fighting for your right to monetary recovery for your injuries and other expenses resulting from your injury. Our legal team has the determination, experience and skills to deal with the insurance companies and other parties, while you focus on healing.
Causes of burn injuries
Most people associate burn injuries with residential fires. However, burn injuries can occur in a variety of ways:
- Contact with fire or flame. Contact with fire may occur in an auto accident, an exploding building or by the use of flames at a work site.
- Scalding injuries. A burn victim may suffer an injury from steam, hot bath water or spilled coffee.
- Thermal burns. Burn accidents can happen through contact with such hot objects as irons or ovens.
- Electrical burns. A burn injury may be caused by inadvertent contact with electricity.
- Chemical burns. Chemical burn sources include acids and strong bases like alkaloids.
- Other causes. Other burns can be caused by flammable clothing, fireworks, friction, inhalation, sunburn and the like.
A knowledgeable burn injury attorney can help you determine whether you have a product liability case or another form of a legal claim to hold the negligent, reckless or willful party accountable for your injuries.
Medical issues related to burns
Deep or widespread burns can lead to many medical complications, including:
- Infection. Burns can leave skin vulnerable to bacterial infection and increase your risk of sepsis, a life-threatening infection that travels through your bloodstream and affects your whole body.
- Low blood volume. Burns can damage blood vessels and cause fluid loss. This may result in low blood volume, which can lead to preventing the heart from pumping enough blood to the body.
- Hypothermia. The skin helps control the body’s temperature, and when a large portion of the skin is injured, you lose body heat, causing the body to lose heat faster than it can produce it.
- Respiratory problems. Breathing hot air or smoke can burn airways and cause breathing difficulties. Smoke inhalation damages the lungs and can cause respiratory failure.
- Scarring. Burns can cause scars and keloids (ridged areas caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue). Skin grafts may be necessary to cover large wounds.
The medical bills associated with a burn injury can be extensive. As seasoned personal injury lawyers in Atlanta, we have years of experience dealing with these types of cases and work to obtain a significant monetary award for you.
Types of burn injuries
Burns are categorized according to the layers of skin affected by the heating element. Below are the three categories of burns:
- First-degree burns. The mildest of burns are classified as first-degree burns. Examples include staying out in the sun unprotected for too long, touching the stove or even from making contact with a hot leather car seat.
- Second-degree burns. One of the key features of a second-degree burn is the breaking of your first layer of skin in the form of blistering and even bubbling as the secondary layer of skin is damaged.
- Third-degree burns. A third-degree burn is a severe burn injury, as all the layers of skin are likely to have been damaged. This type of burn often injures muscles, tendons, ligaments and possibly organs.
Call a skilled personal injury attorney for your free initial consultation
Whether your burn injury is minor or major, it can have devastating consequences for you and your family. Contact The McGarity Group, LLC at 877.851.4261 or online to discuss your legal options with an experienced lawyer. We offer flexible hours by appointment.
The McGarity Group helps their clients with all burn injury related matters throughout Metro-Atlanta including the cities of Buford, Duluth, Atlanta, and Lawrenceville.
About the Firm
The McGarity Group, LLC is located in Buford, Georgia and serves clients in and around Metro Atlanta and throughout the State of Georgia.
5328 Lanier Islands Parkway
Buford, Georgia 30518